Sunday, January 18, 2009

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

That is the message that is everywhere today. If it’s not global warming, terrorism, or plane crashes it’s salmonella in your peanut butter.

Right now hundreds of thousands of people are losing their jobs and the economy seems to be taken a nosedive as sure as Flight 1549 splashed down in the Hudson.

What am I doing about it?

I quit my job, am taking time off, and relocating!

It seems madness. I have had a lovely job, live in a great town, have lots of great friends, and enjoyed both a studio and an apartment, but I wanted something different. I have been planning and thinking about this life change for a long time, but when I started taking steps towards achieving it, burning bridges if you will, that’s when the news about the economy started getting bad enough to even get through to a hippy dippy artsy-fartsy type like me. Even wrapped up on my creative little worlds I got the picture. It’s been coming on for a long time.

I briefly thought about changing my plans and hunkering down, but then it occurred to me: the only thing to fear is fear itself.

I’m not going to stop living my life the way I want to because of dire predictions. I will eat peanut butter and spinach (I might prefer organic though just to feel a bit more reassured) but I also have to take leaps when I want to take leaps and trust in my belief in myself, my ability to create my own reality, and that ultimately whatever will be will be. At least I’ll have fun trying.

No comments: